Smithsonian Digital Repository >
Smithsonian Contributions Series >
Smithsonian Contributions to History and Technology >
|Title: ||Girard Estate Coal Lands in Pennsylvania, 1801-1884|
|Authors: ||Hoffman, John N.|
|Issue Date: ||1972|
|Citation: ||Smithsonian Studies in History and Technology; 15|
|Abstract: ||This monograph traces the historical development and consolidation of tracts of land on the frontier of Pennsylvania in the late eighteenth century. The tracts under discussion were a part of a land grant given to William Penn by King Charles II in 1681, and the proprietorship remained in the Penn family until 1775.
Early land promoters such as Robert Morris and John Nicholson, plagued by financial problems, lack of inhabitants, and the reluctance of investors to participate in the development of their land schemes, eventually lost control and ownership of the large tracts which they had obtained.
The material presented in this study entails one such land venture which, in later years, became known as the Girard Estate, having been purchased by Stephen Girard in 1830. Literally a financial tycoon of the period, Girard is reputed to have been worth some seven-and-a-half million dollars at the time of his death.
To better understand the problems associated with the ownership of land in Pennsylvania during the colonial period, a short resumé of land rules and regulations during this time is presented as an introduction to this study.|
|Appears in Collections:||Smithsonian Contributions to History and Technology|
Items in DSpace may be protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.